Saturday, August 15, 2009

Breakfast @ Kompleks Makanan Tanglin, Lake Garden

I arrived in KL last night and spent it figuring out where to take May’s aunties to eat Nasi Lemak. Staying for two days and this being their last, I definitely wanted their last meal to be good.

Most people may think its not that hard figuring where good Nasi Lemak joints are. But it was for me because I haven’t had one in KL for quite some. Flipping through the KL section from the Star's review of good street food I saw Nasi Lemak Tanglin. Not only was it given three stars it was also located inside Lake Gardens! What a way to end this trip I figured. Take them for a good breakfast and have them snap loads of pictures at Lake Garden.

And so the following day we arrived at Tanglin Food Court at around 10am and queued up for our Nasi Lemak.

Nasi Lemak Tanglin

I’m not an expert on Nasi Lemak but I did enjoy the one here. I had mine with Sambal Egg, Curry Chicken and Beef Lungs. The Sambal here was a little sweet and relatively mild in heat, which was good for someone like me who can’t handle heat. I also enjoyed the chewy texture of the beef lung, which did not have any bad smell or taste that are usually associated with it. However what I liked most was the rice. It wasn’t very oily but still retained a nice coconut flavor.

Nasi Lemak

In addition to Nasi Lemak I also ordered grilled stingray and cuttlefish from Pak Din’s Ikan Bakar Asli. This place was also highly recommended from the book and foodies.

Pak Din's Ikan Bakar Asli

Grilled over charcoal the fish was moist and had a nice smoky flavor. The flesh was moist and flakes off the bone.

Ikan Bakar (Grilled Stingray)

The cuttlefish was my favorite. The curry spices and smoky flavor really went well with the cuttlefish and more importantly it was so tender to the bite.

Grilled Squid

Don’t forget, Malaysian grilled seafood is incomplete without the tasty tamarind based dipping sauce, which had a nice balance of sweet, sour and heat.

Tamarind Sauce

To go with my meal I also ordered some Kopitiam Teh. The teh was relatively mild and not too sweet, which was a nice complement to my meal.

Kopitiam Teh

At the end of the meal I was relieved that May’s aunties enjoyed it. As for me it's about time I had some Nasi Lemak back home after so many years. And I'm glad I picked this place to have it.


Contact Information:
Address: Kompleks Makan Tanglin Jalan Cendarasari, Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 016-650 8494 (Zainol)

2 comments:

thenomadGourmand said...

Ahh, too bad I didnt know you were in Msia!
Could have taken u to much much nicer NL! ;)

Kwong said...

Ahhh!! Haha I'll be back on Monday! I'm in Bsli right now for a short break. Let's go makan next week if your free =)