Saturday, August 8, 2009

Dinner @ Baton Rouge, Thornhill

Hearing on radio that Baton Rouge was celebrating lobster season by featuring a variety of lobster dishes, my friends and I decided to check it out. We headed to the branch at Thornhill which was still packed even at 9pm.

There were 5 of us that night and we each ordered an appetizer and a main but decided to skip dessert. The portions were big but the quality of the food did not really impress us. This is what we had:

My Appetizer: Lobster and Spinach Dip
Nachos with Lobster Dip
Served with tortilla chips this dip was made from a blend of cheeses and spinach and tasted like other dips served at similar restaurants such as Milestones and Jack Astor. The only difference is the addition of lobster meat which was overpowered by the cheese. The portion was so big that there were leftovers after sharing.


My Pre-main Course: House Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
This came as part of my main course. The salad was fresh and crisp and the lime vinegraitte had a nice balance of acidity and sweetness. I also enjoyed the cheese crouton that came with it


My Main Course: Wood-Fired Grilled Red Snapper
Grilled Red Snapper
This was a disappointment. My fish was under seasoned and way overcooked. There was no hint of any smokiness from the wood-fire either. The only thing I liked was the tartar sauce where I used it as a dip for the tortilla chips from the lobster dip.


Mike and Jason’s Appetizer: Lobster Bisque
Lobster Bisque
Garnished with fried leeks on top, both Mike and Jason did not enjoy the bisque. They both felt it was way too creamy and lacked any lobster flavour. Mike had a few spoons and decided to give the rest to me. Upon trying it I too agreed.


Mike’s 14oz New York Sirloin Steak
New York Striploin
Cooked Medium: New York Striploin
The steak was cooked to Mike’s desired doneness of medium. Mike felt the steak was under seasoned and lack flavour. He still prefers the Wagyu Rib Eye he had at Jakes during his holiday in KL last December.


Sam and Jason’s Full Slab of BBQ Ribs
BBQ Pork Back Ribs
Both Sam and Jason had no complaints with the ribs. I had a few pieces and liked it too. The meat was tender and fell off the bones. It had a nice smoky flavour and the BBQ sauce wasn’t too sweet.


Ray’s Surf and Turf
Surf and Turf
Ray also felt his steak was under seasoned and bland. However he did enjoy the lobster tail which wasn’t overcooked.


Overall, our bill came to CAD $200 including gratuities and taxes. We all felt it was a little hefty given the quality of the food. I’ve been to Baton Rouge quite a few times and I must say the food today is very poor compared to previous visits. Inconsistencies do happen on certain nights and this was the case with us tonight.

Contact Information
Address: 230 Commerce Valley Drive East, Thornhill, Ontario, L3T 7Y3
Tel. : 905.764.6959
Website: www.batonrougerestaurants.com

No comments: