Friday, August 28, 2009

Suckling Pig @ Warung Ibu Oka (Bali Day 2- Lunch)

Warung Ibu Oka was on the top of my eating list in Bali. I've heard of this place only after watching an episode of "No Reservations: Bali" last year. As I recalled Anthony Bourdain proclaimed it as probably the best suckling pig he has ever eaten.

Pig Statue


Furthermore, trip advisor showed rated it as the #1 restaurant in Ubud and most of the reviews were very positive. And so, when arranging my trip prior to our arrival with our guide I've stressed Ibu Oka on every email and phone call about the importance of arriving there on time just in case they ran out of the skin!

Warung Babi Guling Ibu Oka


Our quest for the ultimate suckling pig aka Babi Guling began at 12:50pm where we arrived at their bigger branch for lunch. Before I could even get out of my car... I actually had an emergency work call that took up 30 minutes. When we sat and placed our order we were told that they actually ran out of the roasted skin and would have to wait ten minutes as they are getting extra from their original branch.

Warung Ibu Oka


During the wait I took a chance to snap shots of the restaurant. The serving area already had prepared portions of rice, vegetables and meat.

Food Prepared


May was so hungry she opened a packet of Vegetable and Yam Chips. I have no idea what the vegetable chip was. It was a little bitter but was really crispy. The Yam Chips on the other hand were really sweet and had a nice touch of salt.

Keropok (Crackers)
Yam Chips


Nearly finishing our chips our Babi Guling Special arrived. Upon our first bite we were quite disappointed. The rice was warm and more importantly the skin wasn't very crispy and the meat a little dry as they were both cold. We were actually quite shocked about the many positive comments that were given.

Babi Guling Special
Babi Guling Special

We carried on eating and then a pick-up truck pulled into the restaurant. Four men came out and pulled out a huge pig from the back and into the kitchen.

A Brand New Piping Hot Babi Guling
Fresh Pig Comes Out
Fresh Babi Guling!


I asked the staff if this pig was just roasted and they said "Yes!". With our full stomach I ordered another plate to give it a shot! And gosh did it make a difference. The skin was indeed really, really crispy and the meat very, very moist. They even poured some sauce which gave it a nice spicy taste. Now I think I finally understand what people were raving about.

Hot Babi Guling


My advise for people going there. Make sure you get there when the pig is just roasted or you'll be disappointed. The cut is very important. Request not to have the skin around the neck as it can get quite tough.

Our entire meal only cost us USD$14. Which I thought was reasonable considering it is one of Bali's most famous Warung and the amount of food we had. I only wished our initial order of Babi Guling Special came from the fresh pig that came later on.

Contact Information:
Address: Peliatan, Ubud, Bali (Just ask any local and they will tell you exactly where it is)
Tel: N/A

No comments: