Thursday, May 6, 2010

Roast Goose @ Yung Kee, Hong Kong

Patronized by locals and tourists, Yung Kee is one of Hong Kong's most established restaurants that is renowned for their Roast Goose. Despite my many trips to Hong Kong I've never eaten at the restaurant except for that one time on a Cathay Pacific Flight while flying on first class from Hong Kong to Toronto three years back. As I recalled Cathay was promoting Hong Kong Cuisine in their flights and had Yung Kee design and cater for their in-flight meals. I remembered sampling their delicious Poon Choi which till today I have not forgotten.

Yung Kee


After three years I've finally paid a visit to Yung Kee at Lan Kwai Fong. With no reservations made we were lucky to find the restaurant pretty empty as my clients and I arrived for a late lunch around 2pm. Not knowing what other signature dishes they're known for I left the ordering to my clients and ate whatever came.

Preserved Egg
Century Eggs
This was our complimentary appetizer and it was really good! The yolk was a little runny giving it a nice contrast to the gelatin like blackened egg white. It is delicious when eaten with the pickled ginger


Roasted Goose
Yung Kee's Famous Roast Goose
The roast goose was really tender and flavorful. But I was a little disappointed with the skin. It wasn't as crispy as I would have hoped for. Nevertheless I really enjoyed it


Special Fried Tofu
Deep Fried Tofu
This was really good. The skin of the tofu was crispy and thick and was an excellent contrast to the super soft tofu


Deep Fried Prawns
Deep Fried Prawn in Bean Curd Sheet
This was very good. I think the prawns were wrapped in a thin bean-curd sheet, fried and then tossed in some sauce. The Prawns were fresh and not overcooked and the bean-curd sheet gave it a light and crispy texture


Scallop and Prawn Dumpling
Prawn and Scallop Dumpling
My favorite. The skin was soft and thin and the it had the right amount of salt to draw out the natural sweetness of the prawns


Siew Mai
Siew Mai
Nothing spectacular here. There's definitely way better Siew Mai then Yung Kee.


BBQ Pork Bun
BBQ Pork Bun
The BBQ Pork Bun was decent but I still prefer the one's in KL which are a lot softer


Ham Sui Kok: Deep Fried Rice Dumpling with Pork and Vegetable Filling
Ham Sui Kok (Fried Glutinous Rice Dumpling)
This was really good Ham Sui Kok. It had a crispy exterior and the inside was soft and chewy. Most important of all it didn't taste oily

Honestly I was hoping to be wowed by their dishes which didn't happen that day. Their Dim Sum dishes were good but I could name a couple of other places that are better. Most important of all was the Roast Goose. If only the skin was crispier I think that would have sealed it for me.


Food: 4/5
Ambiance: 3.5/5
Service: 4/5
Price: N/A (My client paid)

Contact Information
Address: 32-40 Wellington Street, Central, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2522 1624
Fax: (852) 2840 0888
Web: www.yungkee.com.hk
Email: info@yungkee.com.hk

No comments: