Thursday, June 24, 2010

In-Flight Cuisine @ Cathay Pacific's First Class Cabin (Hong Kong-Toronto)

Injuring my back, my company allowed me to purchase a business class ticket back to Toronto. However I stuck some good luck while boarding my flight from Hong Kong to Toronto as I was given a complimentary upgrade to sit in First Class!

Despite flying over 180,000 miles on Cathay last year this was my first time sitting in their First Class Cabin and it was definitely a big difference from Business Class.

Passengers were given complimentary Shanghai Tang pajamas and the seat itself was at least 6” long with a width that could sit me and another passenger. There was even a turn-down service after our meal where the flight attendant would convert our seat into a bed that includes a mattress top, over-sized pillow and a super soft duvet.

In-flight Turn Down Service

Besides the seat and additional amenities the cuisine on First was also a far cry from Business Class. Krug Champagne was all you can drink for both the Dinner and Refreshment meals with wider selection of dishes to choose from.

Dinner
Caviar and Balik Salmon "Tsar Nicolaj"

For dinner my meal began with Caviar and Balik Salmon that was served with some Crème Fraiche and Fingerling Potatoes. The Balik Salmon was delicately smoked to maintain the salmon’s moisture and was cut thick giving it a much better texture then the common thin sliced version. It was delicious when eaten with the Osetra caviar and fingerling potatoes.


Pork Soup with Winter Melon, Chicken and Pearl Barley
Cold Plate - Marinated Cuttlefish with Chili Vinegar and Szechuan Cucumber Salad

For my main meal I had the option of having an International or Chinese set menu. Flying a Hong Kong based airline I chose the latter. The first course was Pork Soup with Winter Melon, Chicken and Pearl Barley and a Cold Plate of Marinated Cuttlefish with Chili Vinegar and Szechuanese Cucumber Salad. Both dishes were pretty bland. I felt the dishes were a little too common for a First Class Menu. Serving Sharks Fin Soup and Slices of Cold Abalone might have done the trick!


Dinner Setup
Stir-Fried Beef with Enoki Mushrooms
Stir-Fried Choy Sum with Garlic

My main course was Stir-Fried Beef with Enoki Mushrooms that was served with Jasmine Rice and Steamed Choy Sum with chopped garlic. The beef was a little bland bit the Choy Sum was simple and good. Again I felt the dish was a little too simple for First Class.


Fresh Berries with Cream

At the end of my meal I was served two desserts beginning with Fresh Berries and Cream. The berries were served chilled and a little sour which went really well with the warm and sweet cream.


Warm Hazelnut Cake with Chocolate Ice Cream and Vanilla Sauce

The second dessert was a Warm Hazelnut Cake with Chocolate Ice Cream and Vanilla Sauce. The hazelnut flavor of the cake went really well with the vanilla sauce and the dark chocolate ice cream which balanced out the sweetness from both the cake and the sauce. What I loved most was the crust at the top of the cake which had a slight crunch similar to that of a really good muffin top.

Refreshment
Seasonal Fresh Fruits
Assorted Breads

Ninety minutes prior to landing we were served a refreshment meal that began with a bowl of fruits and a breadbasket with some butter and olive oil.


Braised Veal Cheeks with Vegetable Pearl Cous Cous, Asparagus and Vine Ripen Tomatoes

For my main course I had the Braised Veal Cheeks with Vegetable Pearl Cous Cous, Asparagus and Vine Ripen Tomatoes . The cheeks were tender but was way too salty to be eaten.


Lemon Tart with Creme Fraiche

My disappointing veal cheeks was redeemed with their simple Lemon Tart with Creme Fraiche. I'm always a sucker for sour desserts and the tart was no exception. It had the right amount of sourness and sweetness that will leave you wanting more without feeling too heavy or guilty.

Overall the food at First Class was definitely much better than Business. I was a little disappointed with the normality of the dishes except for the Balik Salmon, Caviar and desserts.

Contact Information
Address: Flight CX826 (Hong Kong to Toronto)
Tel: N/a
Web: www.cathaypacific.com

No comments: