Saturday, January 2, 2010

My Best Peking Duck @ Iata Pata, Bangkok

Iata Pata Restaurant may not sound like a Chinese Restaurant to many but this place serves up some delicious Chinese dishes that definitely changed my perception of Bangkok’s Fine Dining Chinese Cuisine.

Restaurant Entrance

Decked out in hues of dark rose wood and Chinese ornaments the restaurant resembled some of the old upscale China Town Restaurants that catered mainly to Westerners. But don’t let the décor distract you from the food because everything my cousin ordered that night was good to excellent.

Dishes that I enjoyed included the Hot Combination Platter consisting of Prawn Toast, Scrambled Eggs with Fish Maw and Stir-Fry Chicken. I really loved the Scrambled Eggs, which was very fluffy and had a nice flavor and texture contrast from the fish maw.

Combination Hot Plate


Deep Fried Prawns in a house sauce with Mash Potatoes may seem like a weird dish but believe me it’s pretty darn good. The sauce tasted like a mild BBQ sauce that is mixed with sweet and sour sauce. When combined with the plump prawns with some mash potatoes it was delicious.

Deep Fried Prawns in Portuguese Sauce with Mash Potatoes


Braised Goose Feet with Noodles was another favorite. The noodles had a nice springy texture and went well with the tender goose feet.

Braised Goosefeet  with Noodles


Teochew Steam Pomfret was the best I’ve had compared with my recent sampling at Café New Paris and Fatty Crab. The sauce wasn’t overly too sour and the use of ginger really complemented the flavor well. The fish was also very moist.

Teochew Steam Pomfret


The best dish however is their Peking Duck! I love my Peking Ducks and have sampled quite a few from Beijing, Shanghai, Melbourne, KL, Toronto and so forth but to me this is the best so far. Upon biting one is greeted with the warm and super soft flour dough and the crispy skin that crackles in your mouth! This is by far the best Peking Duck I've had so far!

Flour Dough for the Peking Duck
Super Crispy Peking Duck
My Peking Duck Wrap


The second course however wasn't as good. The only option available was to deep-fried the carcass. The meat was really dry but for some reason Mike actually enjoyed it.

Peking Second Course
Mike Posing with his Chopsticks


Our last two dishes was Fried Rice and Stir Fried Choi Sum. Both were on par with other good Cantonese Restaurants.

Fried Rice
Stir-Fried Greens

Overall I really enjoyed the food! I can't stop thinking about the Peking Duck and definitely will be visiting this restaurant again when I come back to Bangkok on the 22nd. The food cost approximately THB 5500.

Food: 4.5/5
Service: 4/5
Price: $$ (Approximately USD $25 per person)


Contact Information:
Address: 2046/7-11 New Petch Buri Rd., Bangkapi, Huay Kwang, Bangkok Thailand
Tel: +66-2-718-173124

1 comment:

Tom said...

Tried the Peking duck, very disappointed. The first course (crispy skin) was amazing, and quickly eaten. I was expecting the main course to be roasted duck, to be continued enjoyed with the dough and veggies. Instead, we were presented with a dish of deep fried, dried meat with the bones chopped into it. I can not justify 1,200 Baht for the small serving of crispy skin, since the main course was worthless.

In addition, the old waiters who all looked like ex Chinese Mafia kept staring at me and my girlfriend as we dined. Made us feel like we were unwelcome outsiders, but can not be thrown out since we had done nothing wrong.