Saturday, April 17, 2010

Assam Fish @ Yik Kee, TTDI

It's almost become a habit that whenever I arrive back in KL the first dinner I would have would be at Yik Kee. I don't know why this was the case... Maybe it's because they make a killer Assam Fish or maybe it's because they're the only good Chinese Restaurant in my neighborhood. But whatever reason it is I am back here again after I landed in KL.

Yik Kee


Coming here a gazillion times there's no need to browse the menu at Yik Kee. I would almost always order the same dishes so much so the jovial owner (for some reason I still don't know his name) would know what I would want to eat. "We've got your Tilapia and yes... I know cooked two ways with minimum amount of oil!" he grins. This is the only place I know that allows me to order one fish that is literally cooked two ways. The first half was steamed with Soya Sauce and the other with a Killer Assam Sauce that is loaded with Tomatoes. The Assam Sauce is thick, mildly spicy and have a nice balance of sweet and sour. This is seriously one of the best Assam Fish I've had.

Steam Tilapia
Tilapia in Assam Sauce



Their Roast Duck is also one of my favorites. The meat was well seasoned but what makes it so good is the crispy skin with a minimum amount of fat in between. Today however the skin wasn't as crispy as I would like.

Another dish I would always order is their Fresh Water Prawn Mee. Yik Kee's version involves the chefs deep-frying the Yee Mee giving it a really crispy texture to contrast with the velvety smooth and rich gravy that is not loaded on eggs but on ginger.

Fresh Water Prawn Mee


Our last dish was Braised Pork Ribs with Peanut Sauce which wasn't very good. The pork ribs were tender but the sauce did not really taste like anything else except for soy sauce.

Braised Pork Ribs with Peanut Sauce


To end our night we also ordered a plate of Durian Pancake. This is no watered down Durian Flavored Dessert. The soft crepe is filled with loads of durian and just layered with a little whipped cream. The durian is sweet with a hint of bitterness and you could definitely smell it!

Durian Pancake


I really enjoyed the food tonight. Eating at Yik Kee definitely reminded me that I'm back in KL. Our meal cost us RM 226.60 for the five of us which is decent considering the 2 KG Tilapia we got today.

Food: 4/5
Ambiance: 2.5/5
Service: 4.5/5
Price: $ (Under USD $15 per person)

Contact Information
Address: No. 38, Jln Datuk Sulaiman, 60000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +6 03-7722 3280

No comments: