Friday, July 23, 2010

German Food @ Bavarian Bierhaus

I’m back in KL again after a month and a half in Toronto and will be spending my time here for no more than ten days as I do my usual Asian routes around Bangkok, Shanghai, Ningbo and Hong Kong before I head back to Toronto on the 3rd of August.

During this short time spent in KL, I met up with Eric who suggested to have some German Food. I was reluctant to try another German Restaurant after my bad experience at Deutsche Gasthaus’s super dry Schweineshaxe (Pork Knuckle). But without any ideas of where else to eat, we stuck with Eric's suggestion and headed to Bavarian Bierhaus at the Curve.

Bavarian Beirhaus


Our meal began with a Bacon Salad. The salad was a little oily from the bacon but I enjoyed the salty and smoky flavor the bacon imparted, which went well with the tangy and sweet Honey Mustard Dressing.

Bacon Salad


I also had a Seafood Soup as a starter. The acidity of the Tomato-Based Soup was great with the perfectly cooked Mussels, Scallops and Prawns.

Seafood Soup


For our main courses Eric wanted the Organic Pork Knuckle but had to settle for their regular version since it was sold out. The Pork Knuckle was gigantic and came with Spaetzle, Sauerkraut, Bratwurst and Smoked Pork Loin. Like Deutsche Gasthaus, the knuckle at Bavarian Bierhaus was also very dry. The meat was tough especially on the outer edges and wasn’t fork-tender even as we dug deeper to the meat that was closer to the bone. The only thing good was the skin, which was roasted to a crisp texture.

Schweinshaxe


My brother ordered one of my favorite German dishes Schweinebraten (Roast Pork Shoulder) that came with Knoddle and Red Cabbage. Their version was a far cry from what I had at Paulaner in Regensburg. The sauce was bland and the pork shoulder meat was tough because it wasn’t cooked long enough.

Schweinebraten


Overall the food wasn’t great. Maybe it’s because I’ve had the good stuff in Germany and can’t stop comparing it with the original. Whatever the reason is I don’t think I’ll be having any German Food in KL anytime soon.

Food: 2.8/5
Ambiance: 3.8/5
Service: 3.5/5
Price: $$ (Under USD $20 per person)

Contact Information
Address: Lot G66, Ground Floor,The Curve, No 6, Jalan PJU 7/3, 47800 Petaling Jaya
Tel: +603-7728-8269
Map:

View Larger Map

No comments: