Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Exotic Hot Pot @ Yangsheng di Jiupin, North Jiangsu

Somewhere North of Jiangsu province I was treated by my suppliers for some good old Hot Pot. Browsing through the pictured menu of marbled beef cuts I was salivating over what they were going to order until the food arrived...

Pig's Brains
Pig's Brains
My first and last time having it. The brain's had a texture similar to a creamy Tofu but had an after-taste which I did not enjoy. Seeing it's my first time having it my outgoing suppliers gave me half the plate.


Beef Tripe
Fresh Beef Tripe
The Tripe was so fresh it was served unbleached. The Tripe had a crunchy and chewy texture which I really enjoyed.


Frog Legs
Frog Legs
I've eaten Frog Legs before but it's my first time having it for Hot Pot. The meat was rather bland for my liking.


Short Rib
Beef Short Ribs
Of all the Beef we could have for Hot Pot they order Short Rib. Needless to say it was way too tough when boiled.


Beef Tenderloin
Beef Tenderloin
Another Beef Cut that is not what I would normally order. The Beef Tenderloin was marinated with some Corn Starch and flattened. The meat's texture was very smooth and soft when cooked but it was rather flavoless due to the lack of marbling.


Local River Fish
Local River Fish
I'm not a fan of Fish for Hot Pot but the Fish they ordered was superb. The flesh was firm and it tasted of the Sea.


Fresh Conger Eel
Conger Eel
Conger Eel's are great when BBQ'ed but it's bad in Hot Pot. It had a really fishy flavor and the texture was very chewy.


Fish Paste
Fish Paste
Finally something familiar. I enjoyed the smooth texture of the Fish Paste.


Hand-Pulled Noodles
Hand Pulled Noodles
The Noodles came in different flavors such as Pumpkin, Taro, Spinach, Egg and Buckwheat. I had the Taro and it was delicious. The Noodles had a nice springy texture and you could actually taste the Taro.


Assorted Mushrooms
Assorted Mushrooms
Can't go wrong with Fresh Mushrooms.


The restaurant without a doubt served up good quality ingredients. If only my suppliers stuck with the usual Ribeye, Sirloin and other familiar Hot Pot Dishes I would have enjoyed it even further. Nevertheless it was an experience I would never forget.


Food: 3.5/5
Service: 4/5
Ambiance: 4/5
Price: N/A


Contact Information
Address: North Jiangsu
Tel: N/A
Map: N/A

No comments: