Thursday, November 26, 2009

Fish, Fish and More Fish @ Restaurant La Sirène de la Mer

Laurent wasn’t kidding when he wanted to show me good eats in Montreal. We had Chez Cora for breakfast at 10am, Baton Rouge for lunch at around 1:30pm and now dinner at 6pm right before my flight.

Constantly fed throughout the day I insisted on going light and asked if we could do fish. Daniel therefore took us to Restaurant La Sirène de la Mer for some Fish.

Restaurant Entrance

Our meal started with a complimentar platter of olives, pickled raddish and green peppers together with some Pita Bread and Crispy Pita Chips.

Pickled Appetizer
Crispy Bread

For appetizers we ordered a few plates to share. The first was salmon tartar that is served with some fried pita bread. The tartar was prepared very simply. Just good olive oil, some lemon juice, minced shallots and the freshest salmon you could fine.

Salmon Tartare

Next came the recommended grilled octopus. The octopus was very tender and well seasoned and unlike most places where the octopus is usually greasy the one served here had the right amount of olive oil.

Grilled Octopus

Our last appetizer was deep-fried calamari. This is the piece de resistance of all our appetizers. The calamari was so tender and the batter was amazingly light. I don’t know how else to describe it except that it was freaking good.

DSCF3788

I was full from our appetizers but we had to order our mains. The waiter took us to the fish market next door where we could choose whatever fish we would like and have it cooked at the restaurant.

Fresh Fish
Fresh Fish

I ordered the sashimi-grade tuna and asked for it to be grilled rare. The tuna was cooked to my liking and was very tender.

Tuna

Daniel had a pan-seared trout fillet which was very moist and flaky in texture.

Rainbow Trout

Laurent ordered the pan-seared Chilean Sea-Bass, which was my favorite. The fatty fish was lightly crispy and was very moist and flavorful. It had a very rich and buttery taste.

Chilean Sea Bass

Last we had a huge red snapper that was butter flied and simply grilled. Being a very lean fish it was very easy to overcook the fish, which happened in this case. Despite this I still enjoyed the fish. Maybe it was the way the fish was served.

Grilled Red Snapper

Overall this was an excellent meal! I asked for something light but I got a full-blown fish and seafood meal that I thoroughly enjoyed. My trip 2-day trip to Montreal was short but I definitely enjoyed the hospitality and warmth that Laurent and his colleagues has shown me.


Contact Information:
Address: 114 avenue Dresden, Mont-Royal, QC H3P 2B6, Canada
Tel: +1 (514) 345-0345‎

No comments: