Saturday, December 19, 2009

Ningbo Cuisine for Lunch

This has been a crazy December. Ever since I came back from Toronto on the 1st I've been to Trang, Bangkok, Shanghai and now Ningbo. I'm here for two days to wrap up some work before I head to Hong Kong for another meeting.

Prior to my flight to Hong Kong, my supplier took me to a nearby restaurant for some local food. Like every Ningbo Restaurant I've visited, there is an ordering station where a wide variety of dishes and seafood are on display to help the guests order.

Fresh Fish
Samples Dishes you could order
Steam Fish to order

Seated on the second floor we were quite unfortunate to be sandwiched between two tables of heavy smokers. Thank god though we didn't need to stay long as our food came within minutes.

Braised Radish
Braised White Raddish I think
I thought it was potatoes at first but it was actually some type of radish. It was quite sweet and was braised with some preserved vegetables. I really liked the dish

Hong Xiu Local Fish
Hong Xiu Local Fish
This is one of my favorite fish dishes in Ningbo. The fish is very flaky and went well with the sauce which tasted similar to the Kung Pao Chicken Sauce.


Local Fish Boiled in Soup
Local Fish boiled in Soup
The fish resembled and tasted like a Pomfret. But my supplier said it wasn't. Boiled with some local greens the flavor of the soup was relatively mild.


Stir-fry local clams
Stir-Fry Clams
These are basically similar to Malaysian "Lala". It was a little spicy and had a hint of ginger and oyster sauce


Fried Soya Beans
Local Soya Beans
I've never had soya beans served this way before. The soya beans were fried and lightly salted. It tasted similar to green peas.


Tofu with Minced Pork Balls
Tofu with Minced Pork Balls


Stir-Fry Local Greens
Stir-Fry Local Greens


Overall the meal was very satisfying and light. So far I haven't had any bad Ningbo Food. It is definitely much better than Shanghainese food which tends to be too sweet for my liking.


Contact Information:
Address: Ningbo
Tel: N/A

No comments: