Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Excellent Steak @ La Griglia D'Oro, La Salle, Montreal

My second trip to Montreal in two weeks sees me in La Salle for an early dinner where Laurent took me to La Griglia D'Oro for dinner. It's hard to believe how time flies as this was the first restaurant Laurent took me to when I first met him in Montreal with Wayne (who is now working in Malaysia) two and a half years back. The food we had was excellent especially my Fish!

Our meal tonight began with Olive Bread and Assorted Dips of Pureed Eggplant with Bell Pepper and Hummus. The Eggplant Puree was very good especially when eaten with the croutons. It wasn't too oily and had a mild kick probably from the addition of some cayenne pepper.

Olive Bread
Eggplant Puree and Hummus Dip


Next came my Tuna Tartar. The Tartar was kept very simple. The Tuna was fresh, had the right amount of salt and was simply dressed in a lemon and olive oil vinaigrette. It was delicious.

Tuna Tartar with Fried Turnip Chips


My main course was Pistachio Crusted Duck Breast with Maple Syrup Reduction. The first thing that came to my mind when I my first bite was the amazing flavor that came from the crushed Pistachios that was probably added on top after cooking the duck. It didn't provide a crispy texture but the flavor went so well with the meat. The Deep Caramelized flavor of the Maple Syrup sauce was a good complement to the dish as it wasn't too sweet. The only disappointment I found was the Duck was a little tough despite being cooked Medium. I think it might maybe attributed to the chefs not resting the meat before slicing it.

Pistcahio Crusted Duck with Maple Syrup Reduction


Laurent's main was a 20 OZ Grilled New York Sirloin. We were a little shocked at first when the Steak came sliced, especially Laurent who felt they have destroyed the experience of eating a New York Sirloin that is always served "Whole". I had quite a few pieces and absolutely loved it. The meat was surprisingly tender for a sirloin and it was very well seasoned with a hint of Charcoal Flavor. A dab of smoked sea salt and your in steak heaven!

Grilled 20 OZ New York Sirloin


We kept dessert simple and had Fresh Strawberries with a Balsalmic Reduction. The strawberries were fresh and had a nice firm texture that went well with the sweetness of the Balsalmic Reduction.

Strawberries with Balsalmic Reduction


The meal I had two years back was excellent and tonight was just as good! I would recommend anyone that is looking for some steaks to visit at La Griglia D'Oro. It is definitely much better than L'Que De Cheval and at a fraction of the price!

Food: 4.2/5
Service: 4.5/5
Ambiance: 3.5/5
Price: $$$$ (Under USD $40 per person)

Contact Information
Address: 7681 Boulevard Newman, LaSalle, Quebec H8N 1X7, Canada
Tel: +1(514) 365-3131
Web: http://www.grigliadoro.com/
Map:

View Larger Map

No comments: